19-03-01 #2) (WGCB NH-03-01 #2) (1864; burned 1973;
rebuilt 1976) A single-span Queenpost truss 76' over the Presumpscot
River. Located: 3.2 miles north-northwest of South Windham,
Maine, within the Windham town line. Directions: In South Windham,
Maine, at the jct. of SR 237, US 202 and SR 4, go north on US 202 and SR
4 for 1.1 miles to the jct. with River Road. Turn left (northwest),
onto River Road and go 1.6 miles to Covered Bridge Road on the left (south);
turn left onto Covered Bridge Road and go 0.5 mile to the bridge.
The original 1864 structure cost $318 to build and It served the towns
of Gorham, Maine and Windham, Maine well until it was destroyed by fire
on May 6, 1973, an apparent act of vandalism. Plans were prepared
to replace the covered span with a concrete bridge, however, a large segment
of the local population objected. The selectmen of both towns requested
that the state Department of Transportation authorize the replacement of
the bridge with an exact replica of the original bridge. The state
agreed and appropriated $75,000 for the new structure. The new plans
called for a bridge that not only looked like the original but was built
using the same historically authentic techniques. Its lumber was
milled in Gorham, Maine, and the bridge was erected by a state Department
of Transportation crew. The new bridge was dedicated on July 4, 1976.
Referred to by some as the New Babb Covered Bridge.