19-09-03) (WGCB NH-09-03) (1898; covered 1899; under restoration
2005) A single-span Paddleford truss 92' 8" over the Magalloway
River. Located: South of Wilson's Mills, Maine off SR 16 in the Aziscoos
Valley Campground near Campsite No. 6. Directions: 1.5 miles
south of Wilson's Mills, Maine on SR 16 then right 0.4 mile to the bridge.
Closed to motor traffic.
Located: 1.9 miles south of Wilsons
Mills, Maine, in the Aziscoos Valley Campground.
Directions: In Wilsons Mills, Maine, at the jct. of SR 16 and Parmachenee
Road on the north, go south on SR 16 for 1.7 miles to Littlehale Road
(entrance to Aziscoos Valley Campground), turn right onto Littlehale Road,
and go 0.2 mile to the closed bridge near Campsite
No. 6. The first abutments, were constructed of logs, on July
11, 1898 at a cost of $280.00; framing and raising of the bridge was done
at a cost of $500.00. The lumber for the bridge had to be rafted
twenty five miles to the bridge site at an additional cost of $2.00 per
thousand feet. The supervisor of the six-day rafting trip was paid
$1.50 a day, and the 1,120 feet of planks for the flooring cost $14.56.
The approaches to the bridge were completed in October; and on November
17, 1898, the town voted to accept the bridge and relieve the committee
of any further responsibility. The bridge was covered one year later.
Its log abutments were replaced with split stone at a later date.
An application was applied for with the National Historic Covered Bridge
Preservation Program for funds toward an $850,000 restoration program for
the bridge and the program awarded $581,404 towards the project.
When photographed on May 19, 2005 most of the restoration project was completed.
It appeared that once the bridge is placed back on its abutments it would
once again be open for vehicular traffic. It was listed on
the National Register of Historic Places on February 16, 1970. (May