19-09-01) (WGCB NH-09-01) (c.1867; repaired
1983) A single-span Paddleford truss 76' 4" over the Ellis River.
Located: In South Andover, Maine, on Covered Bridge Road, within
the Andover, Maine town line. Directions: Just west of Rumford
Point, Maine, at the jct. of US 2 and SR 5, go north on SR 5 for 7.6 miles
to Covered Bridge Road on the right (east), turn right onto Covered Bridge
Road, and go 0.1 mile to the bridge. Or, in Andover, Maine, at the
jct. of SR 120 and SR 5, go south on SR 5 for 3.1 miles to Covered Bridge
Road on the left (east) turn left, go 0.1 mile to the bridge. There
is a difference regarding the date this bridge built. Some sources
place it at 1867, others at 1868. Records indicate that the bridge
was constructed at a cost of $743.47 and built with square-sawn spruce.
In 1983, a heavy sand truck crossed the span and crashed through the floor
into the river. Repaired and reopened in 1984 with a reinforced deck
and height barriers, sometimes referred to as "headache bars," placed at
the entrances to the bridge. It has naturally weathered board and
batten siding and horizontal clapboard portals painted white with red trim.
The structure rests on stone abutments that have been laid dry and extend
to road level wing walls. Its roof is covered with wooden shakes.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 16,
1970. (May 2005)