(WGN 45-02-02 #2)
(WGCB VT-02-02 #2): (c. 1840, replicated in 1989) A single-span
Town lattice truss 120' 8" over the Walloomsac River. Located:
NW of Bennington, Vermont off SR 67A on Murphy Road. Directions:
From Bennington, Vermont go north on US 7 then left at exit 1 on SR 7A
to left on SR 67A 0.3 mile to left on Murphy Road, the bridge is 1.3 miles
past the Paper Mill Village Covered Bridge (WGN 45-02-03
#2) on Murphy Road. The current bridge is a 1989 replica
of the original bridge and none of the original bridge timbers were used
in its construction. The original span was famous for its double
truss that was not replicated. The Vermont Agency of Transportation
has posted the following information on a sign by the bridge:
"This quiet spot
was once a major river crossing. Traffic between southwestern Vermont and
New York State crossed here until a railroad was built in 1852. Troops
marched from Manchester, Vermont to the Battle of Bennington in 1777 and
teams and stages transported freight and passengers. The original Henry
Bridge was built c.1840. In the late 1860's and '70s heavy wagon loads
of iron ore were hauled over the bridge from the Burden Iron Company mine
on Ore Bed Road to its washing works on Paran Creek in North Bennington.
A succession of water-powered mills was located next to the bridge on the
was a gristmill operated into the 1920s by Berntine T. Henry, one of this
area's many descendants of the Irish born William Henry (1734-1811) . .
. This bridge, built in 1989 by the State of Vermont Agency of Transportation,
is a replica replacing the deteriorating original bridge built c.1840."
Horizontal lapped siding covers the portals and to rail height on its sides
exposing the Town lattice truss. Vertical boarding covers the weather
panels inside the entrances and horizontal boarding covers the gables.
The roof is covered with dark weathered cedar shingles and its floor is
covered with 2' x 6' boards laid on edge. The exterior of the bridge,
including the exposed part of the truss, is painted barn red and the weather
panels inside the entrances and the trim board outlining the entrances
are painted white. Also known as the Burt Henry Covered Bridge.
It was was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August
28, 1973. (Sep 2003)